Staying in Haines Junction
IMPORTANT NOTES REGARDING CAMPING AND FOOD IN HAINES JUNCTION!
The Haines Junction Village Council passed a bylaw on May 25, 2010 that has made it illegal to camp anywhere within the town limits, except at commercial campgrounds or the Yukon Government campground. There is a possible $250 fine for camping in unauthorized areas. The camping areas are:
- Pine Lake Territorial Campground
- Fas Gas Campsite
- Kluane RV Kampground
Once these Haines Junction campsites are full, people with self-contained units (no tents) are allowed to camp overnight in an overflow camping area at the Dezadeash Day Use Area (in behind the Weigh Scales) under special permit for KCIBR 2016 for the Friday night only. Please do not make excessive noise, remove all garbage, and keep dogs on a leash.
Camping is available further south on the highway at the National Park campsite at Kathleen Lake and at the Kathleen Lake Lodge. However, remember that the highway is closed northbound at checkpoint 1 from 8:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
Some places for eating or small grocery items include: The Village Bakery, The Little Green Apple, Kluane RV & Campground, and the Fas Gas.
Whitehorse and Yukon accommodation listings can be found on the Tour Yukon website.
For additional information on Hotels & Campgrounds in Haines Junction, Yukon call: (867) 694-2345 or visit the Haines Junction Community website
Staying in Whitehorse
Accommodation in Whitehorse and Yukon communities can be found on the Tour Yukon website.
The following is a list of cyclist-friendly accommodation:
Staying in Haines, Alaska
Camping on the Parade Grounds
- camping is permitted on the Fort Seward Parade Grounds on race day, Saturday
- outhouses located near the finish line
- pets are not permitted on the Parade grounds
- elsewhere, pets must be leashed and poop and scoop regulations apply
- PUBLIC DRINKING IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE PARADE GROUNDS.
- showers are located a short distance from the Finish Line, at the Haines Quick Laundry open from 7am - 9pm Port Chilkoot RV Park and campground
For additional information on Haines, Alaska Hotels & Campgrounds call 1-800-478-2268 anywhere in Alaska or Canada or visit Haines Visitor Bureau website