Itinerary for 2015
January 16, 2015 - T-Shirt Design Contest Closes
Submissions for the annual rider and volunteer shirt design contest closes at 12:00 midnight Yukon Time. See Home page for details.
March 15, 2015 - On-Line Registration Opens
Go to the Registration Tab to link to the on-line registration page and take advantage of early registration fees. There are limits on overall registration and on 8 person teams so don't wait too long! You can also order rider shirts and extra Saturday night suppers as part of your team registration.
Friday, April 17, 2015 - Shirt Ordering Ends
After April 17, race shirts are no longer available for order. See registration tab for details on the shirts. Ideally you ordered them when registering your team.
Friday, May 29, 2015 - Final Registration Ends
This is the final team registration deadline. Registration usually fills up long before this deadline. This is the final deadline to register a team.
Friday, June 12, 2015 - Deadline for Team Captains Making On-Line Changes
Team captains can make changes to riders and legs up to and including this date by logging into the registration platform with their user id and password. Any changes after this date can only be made at package pickups and will involve change fees.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 6:00 PM Yukon Time at the Mt McIntyre Recreation Centre, Whitehorse
Whitehorse-Based Teams: Race Package Pickup and Team Captains' Meeting
- Whitehorse Race Package Pick-up is from 6:00-8:00 PM in the Whitehorse Cross Country Ski Club Wax Room
- This is an alternate Captain's Meeting and Race Package Pick-Up for Whitehorse-area teams. You must hand in complete sets of signed waivers to pick up your race package. You can make changes as you pick up your race package. Late change fees apply ($30 per change). Payment is by US or Cdn. cash or cheque only. You CANNOT make changes after you pick up your race package.
- There are TWO (2) Captains' Meeting to choose from: the first one is from 7:00-7:30 and the second is from 8:00-8:30 PM upstairs in the Grey Mountain Room. Only one person per team to attend the meeting, please. Important last minute information. You are responsible for sharing this with your team and support crews.
Friday, June 19, 2015, 6:00 to 8:00 PM Yukon Time at the Haines Junction Convention Center
Final Package Pickup
- Any final changes to the team registration including: changing riders, and the order of the riders. Teams will be charged $30.00 for each change/addition. Payment is by US or Cdn. cash or cheque only. You must hand in complete sets of signed waivers to pick up your race package.
Friday, June 19, 2015, 7:00 PM or 9:00 PM Yukon Time at the Haines Junction Convention Center
Team Captains' Meeting (If you did not attend in Whitehorse on Tuesday night)
- http://www.kcibr.org/sites/all/themes/acquia_marina/images/green-bullet.png);">There are TWO (2) Captains' Meeting to choose from: the first one is from 7:00-7:30 and the second is from 9:00-9:30 PM upstairs in the auditorium of the Convention Centre. Only one person per team to attend the meeting, please. Important last minute information. You are responsible for sharing this with your team and support crews.
Saturday, June 20, 2015, 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM Yukon Time
Road and Lane Closure
Start Line: Southbound Traffic: The Haines Hwy to Haines, Alaska, will be closed to southbound traffic at Haines Junction from 8:15 am Yukon time until 9:15 am Yukon time. All support vehicles supporting riders on legs 1 and 2 MUST be through the start area prior to the road closure. There will be no vehicles allowed from the start line to the 1st pull off at the top of the hill on the left about 3.8 km from the start. Northbound traffic from the 3.8 km pullout will stopped while riders are in this section of the road.
Checkpoint 1: There is one-lane traffic south-bound around Checkpoint 1 from approximately 8:45-10:15 AM. Follow signs directing vehicles into the left lane while riders stay in the right lane past checkpoint 1. Once you are past this traffic control at checkpoint 1, TWO-WAY vehicle traffic resumes! See Checkpoint 1 Traffic Control page.
Checkpoint 2: There is one-lane traffic south-bound around Checkpoint 2 from approximately 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM. Follow signs directing vehicles into the left lane while riders stay in the right lane past checkpoint 1. Once you are past this checkpoint, TWO-WAY vehicle traffic resumes! See Checkpoint 2 Traffic Control page.
Saturday, June 20, 2015, AM Yukon Time
Race Start Just before the Dezadeash River bridge, Haines Junction
Race Start Times (Note: The start order is based on what is felt to be the SAFEST start order. Please remember this is a recreational event with a primary focus on fun, participation, and safety.)
**** 2015 RACE START TIMES ****
- To be confirmed spring 2015
Note: An attempt at defining types of riders....
Competitive Riders = riders who are training for many months for this event
Recreational Riders = riders who have done some (a few weeks) or little training for this event
Saturday, June 20, 2015, 7:00 PM Alaska Time
Mandatory Start at Checkpoint 7 - Leg 8 Riders
All leg 8 riders must leave Checkpoint 7 by 7:00PM Alaska Time at the latest. Leg 8 riders still waiting for leg 7 riders to finish will be started together at 7:00 PM. The checkpoint will remain open for leg 7 riders to finish. We recommend that the leg 8 rider is not riding the same bike as the leg 7 rider so that all leg 8 riders can start by or before this mandatory start time.
Saturday, June 20, 2015, 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM Alaska Time
The race finishes between approximately 2:00 p.m. and exactly 9:00 p.m. Alaska Time at the Parade Grounds, Fort Seward Barracks, Haines, Alaska. The race finish area will officially close at 9:00 p.m. Alaska Time. If you have a rider still riding at this time, please pick them up and bring them and their timing stick to the Finish Line. Riders who are not finished by 9:00 will not get an official time but will not be disqualified. They will not be eligible for the red lantern award. Teams that start their Leg 8 rider at the Mandatory Start time will not be eligible for the Red Lantern award.
Leg 8 riders will have at least two hours to ride leg 8 since the latest they can start the leg is 7:00 p.m. Alaska Time. "Blue sheets" MUST be handed in at the Finish Line. Blue Sheets are the only backup for timing.
Saturday, June 20, 2015, 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM Alaska Time
Beer Garden and Banquet
Beer Garden and Banquet are at the Finish Line area from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on the Parade grounds. Meal tickets are handed out in the team package. Some tickets will be available for purchase at the Banquet. Alcoholic beverages can only be consumed in the designated area adjacent to the finish line and banquet supper area. Please respect local bylaws if you are consuming alcholic beverages! Please use the designated receptables for recycables and garbage. Please don't leave a mess!
Saturday, June 20, 2015, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM Alaska Time
Free Salmon Barbecue
8th Annual Fishermen's BBQ at Southeast Alaska State Fairgrounds from 6:00 - 8:30pm. Admission by donation.
Sunday, June 21, 2015, 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM Alaska Time
Free Kids Fishing Derby
2nd Annual Free Kids' Fishing Derby for those under 15 at the Haines docks. Catch and release. Sponsored by the Haines Fish and Game Association and Sportsmen’s Club.