Rules for All Participants
Violations of any of the REQUIREMENT rules will result in team disqualification.
1. TEAM CAPTAIN: Teams must designate a captain but captains do not have to be a rider.
2. COURTESY: All riders, drivers, and spectators are required to be courteous to fellow riders, volunteers and race officials. Directions and requests of race officials must be followed.
3. SIGN OFF: Team Captains or their representatives will be required to sign off, when picking up their Race Kit, acknowledging that they, and all team members have read, understand and will obey the Race Rules.
4. WAIVERS: Any changes being made to riders or the order of riders are subject to applicable change fees (see Registration Tab) and must be accompanied by appropriate rider information and waivers signed by any new participant. Changes to riders (team members) will not be accepted without a signed waiver for the new rider which is handed in at package pickup.
5. CAPTAINS MEETING: There are 2 choices for Race Package Pickup and Captains’ Meetings.
Each team should send a representative to one of the Captains’ Meeting as there are always last minute updates. We promise to keep the meeting to less than 30 minutes!
1) Whitehorse-area Team Captains have the option of Race Package Pick Up on the Tuesday before the event from 6:00 – 8:00 PM and one of two Captains' Meeting at 7:00 – 7:30 and 8:00 – 8:30 PM at the Mt MacIntyre Recreation Centre.
2) The second choice is the Friday, before the event with Race Package Pickup running from 6:00 - 8:00 PM and a choice of two Captains’ Meetings from 7:00 – 7:30 or 9:00 - 9:30 PM. These events take place in Haines Junction. Check the Itinerary page for the location as we alternate year to year between the Convention Centre and the Cultural Centre.
Note: All times for Package Pickup and Captains Meetings are Yukon (Pacific) times.
6. CHECKPOINTS: See Checkpoint and Finish Line Directions. Please follow all traffic control volunteer instructions at every checkpoint.
7. MULTIPLE STAGES: Riders completing multiple stages must ride consecutive legs. No leap frogging.
8. CHANGES TO THE EVENT: Race Officials, in conjunction with the KCIBRA Board, reserve the right to make last-minute changes to the event if deemed necessary for safety reasons. Possible reasons could include weather, road, or wildlife conditions. Changes would be communicated as best as possible via the Captains' Meetings, Start Line and Checkpoint announcements.
Suggestions and Information
A. ROAD CLOSURE: The Haines Highway will be closed on the Saturday as follows:
- Southbound at Dezadeash River bridge in Haines Junction to the 3.8 kilometre highway pullout (top of hill) from 8:15 – 9:15 AM (Yukon Time)
- Northbound at Checkpoint 1 (south end of Kathleen Lake Look-out) from 8:45 – 10:15 AM (Yukon Time)
B. LEG 2 RIDER DROP OFF: All Leg 2 riders MUST BE south of the Start Line BEFORE the southbound road closure takes effect at 8:15 AM Yukon Time. Support vehicles are required to go beyond the area of the road closure in order to support riders on Legs 1 and 2.
The southbound road closure extends from the start line to approximately kilometre 3.8 (which is at the beginning of a pull off on the left at the top of a hill). Due to traffic congestion and safety concerns in leg 1, only 1 support vehicle per team should be active in leg 1 south of the road closure.
There will be restrictive traffic controls in place at Checkpoint 1 and 2. Please refer to the Traffic Control information.
C. START TIMES: Start times are staggered based on team categories (e.g. solos, 2 person teams etc.).
Race Start Times are based on what is felt to be the SAFEST start order. Please remember this is a recreational event with a primary focus on fun, participation, and safety.
See the Itinerary page for Start Times specific to this year.
Note: An attempt at defining types of riders....
Competitive Riders = riders who are training for many months for this event. Please line up at the Start Line.
Recreational Riders = riders who have done some (a few weeks) or little training for this event. Please line up 10-15 metres behind the Start Line.
D. LEG 7 RIDERS: Leg 7 riders MUST STOP AT U.S. CUSTOMS and SHOW PASSPORT ID and other required documents.
E. BORDER CROSSING: Please ensure everyone has their Passports and any other documents required to cross the US and Canadian borders.
F. MANDATORY LEG 8 START TIME: All riders must start riding Leg 8 by 7:00 PM Alaska Time regardless of whether the Leg 7 rider has entered the checkpoint. All times will be adjusted to calculate the total race time. Teams which use the mandatory start time for leg 8 are not eligible for the Red Lantern award. A Race Official will oversee any mandatory Leg 8 Starts.
G. TEAM TIME SHEETS: Team Captains must hand in the blue time sheet at the FINISH LINE AREA completely and clearly filled out. Disputes over timing will not be addressed without a blue time sheet.
H. RACE FINISH CLOSURE: The race finish area will officially close at 9:00 PM Alaska time. Teams finishing after this time will not get an official result.
I. ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION AT BANQUET IN HAINES: Alcoholic beverages can only be consumed in the designated areas which may be adjacent to the finish line if there is a beer garden there and at banquet supper area. Please respect local bylaws if you are consuming alcoholic beverages!
J. Porta Potties/Outhouses: There are porta potties or outhouses in every checkpoint. Please try to use these when travelling along the highway to minimize the impact on the natural environment.